Hey Guys! I haven’t blogged in a while hey…. ….In my defence I have been trying to find a balance between living, working in two provinces and finding time for blogging. I’m all for health, exercise and living a balanced life this year. I hope you have been trying out some of the recipes….
As I was going through the InHouse Club cookbook I saw an array of interesting local recipes including Yummy Mealie Bread recipe. I just had to give it a try and guess what? I loved it….now I’m sharing it with you.
The original recipe includes a cup of grated cheese but I’ve removed it and make it an option for serving. However, feel free to include it in the recipe. Happy Baking!
Yummy Mealie Bread Recipe
This wonderful cornbread can be served with a braai, with soup, or even used to make a sandwich.
¾ cup onions, chopped
50g unsalted butter
5ml (1tsp) dried herbs (I used Italian Herbs)
2 ½ cups cake flour
10ml (2tsp) baking powder
5ml (1tsp) salt
3-4 sprigs parsley, chopped
2 cobs sweet corn, remove kernels
2 carrot, grated
315ml sour milk
1 chilli, chopped
2ml black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200۫C. Sauté the onion in butter.
- Add herbs and leave to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt twice.
- Mix together the parsley, mealie kernels, carrot, chillies, pepper and onion.
- Beat the eggs lightly with a fork and add the sour milk.
- Sift the flour over the vegetable mixture and bind to a dough with the egg mixture.
- Tip into a well-greased and lined (with grease-paper) 28 cm loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Why don’t you serve this bread along with this Chicken Hearts and Vegetable Pie? It’s a great combo.