By now you should know we bring you the latest and freshest of what is happening in the food scene around the country. Cooking shows, latest cookbooks, new interesting products etc.
Last Saturday, I attended the Ultimate Braai Master regional auditions held at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town. The weather gods were in a good mood as it was a sunny day. One could smell the braai aroma in the air. Teams were geared up with their work stations adorned with whatever fitted the themes of their choice.
Maybe you mean: 'home-9' or 'news-gallery-post-based3' or 'twitter-feed5' or 'facebook-feed7' or 'instagram-gallery'
I walked around inspecting what the teams were preparing for the judges. The dishes that were being prepared included Braaied Snoek, Seafood Curry, Rosterkoek , Sosaties, Pot Brood, Lamb Shanks, Pork Belly, Cheesecake, Ostrich Tail Potjie, Red Wine Poached Pears with a Chocolate Reduction and Glazed Walnuts, the list goes on.
From the spectator’s point of view, I admired how the contestants go all out to set up their food preparation areas, co-ordinate uniforms (T-shirts, caps, aprons) and the attention they pay in the preparation of their dishes.
I had a chat with Justin Bonello and couldn’t resist asking what we, the viewer, should expect on the third season of the show.
Justin believes that travel is an amazing way of spreading and receiving. Therefore the show will continue to showcase our beautiful country, more on the camping side of things, not to give away too much but expect to see a time for tough. South Africans should be inspired to explore their background as they will witness the teams visiting out of the way places.
The judging panel was made up of esteemed chefs, food writers, bloggers including season one winners, Elaine and Tubby. It was great catching up with them and finding out what they have been up to. Season 3 sponsors are Pick ‘n Pay, Coca-Cola, Renault Duster, Robertsons Herbs and Spices and Total. Some interesting changes to look forward to in the third season:
- There’s a new judge on the show, Petrus Madutlela. Petrus is a 31 year old chef from the North West Province. I’m definitely looking forward to his contribution to the show.
- The Third Season will premiere on e.tv in prime time from Thursday 11 September to Thursday 4 December.
Here’s a list of Cape Town’s 16 times that were selected to go through the next round:
- Team Delicious Foodies: friends from Somerset West, Western Cape, Braai Master Brigitte Leclercq and Braai Buddy Lappies Labuschagne.
- Team Bad Dog: good friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Michael Woolley and Braai Buddy David Savage.
- Team Tikka Boys: friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Mohamed Yusuf Sujee and Braai Buddy Garth Davids.
- Team West Coast Braaiers: best friends for life from Langebaan, the West Coast of South Africa, Braai Master John Grundlingh and Braai Buddy Julian Mori.
- Team Kaiser Chefs: friends from Somerset West, Western Cape, Braai Master Peter Ilgmann and Braai Buddy Roger de Coito.
- Team Beach Combers: a married couple from Langebaan, the West Coast of South Africa, Braai Master Jolene Butler and Braai Buddy Paul Butler.
- Team Spirit of Africa: a couple from Stellenbosch, Western Cape, Braai Master Murray Tonathy and Braai Buddy Elanda van Zyl.
- Team Santa Anna’s: friends from Stellenbosch, Western Cape, Braai Master Pieter JC Marais and Braai Buddy Frik Oosthuizen.
- Team Huiskombuis: best friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Kyle Hodgson and Braai Buddy Rudy Gibbons.
- Team Stellenbraai: friends from Stellenbosch, Western Cape, Braai Master Jaco Steenkamp and Braai Buddy Gerhard Swiegers.
- Team Swartland Braai Span: a father and son duo from Malmesbury, Western Cape, Braai Master Gabriel Hendrik Steyn and Braai Buddy Stephanus Jacobus Steyn.
- Team The Ama Chop Chop: friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Richard Knoetze and Braai Buddy Jacques Ellis.
- Team Braai Boere Braai: a father and daughter duo from Belville, Western Cape, Braai Master Lucretia Oosthuizen and Braai Buddy Raoul le Roux.
- Team Tenacity: a couple from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Lesley Verhoef and Braai Buddy Rod Hemphill.
- Team Padkos: friends from Durban, KwaZulu Natal, Braai Master Lenny (Leendert) de Bruin and Braai Buddy Ruan Oliver.
- Team Kalahari Fires: brothers from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Renier Lombard and Braai Buddy Jacques Lombard.
South Africa’s top 15 teams will be announced on Monday 7 April and the filming begins in Cape Town at the beginning of May. Good Luck to all the teams!
For more info: visit www.ultimatebraaimaster.com
Image Credit: Louis Hiemstra