The last episode of M-NET’s Sarah Graham’s Food Safari airs on Sunday, 31 January 2016 at 14:00. If you’ve been following the weekly taste-inspired travelogue, you’ll love Sarah’s simple but super-smart approach to cooking.
Here she introduces her crowd-pleasing Aubergine Parmigiana (Aubergine, Parmesan and Tomato Bake), matched with a glass or two of Drostdy-Hof Natural Sweet White. Both the wine and the food deliver a deliciously fruity tang on the tongue.
Drostdy-Hof wines are available from major national retailers and sell for around R32.95 for a 750ml bottle and around R54.95 for a 2-litre box.
Aubergine Parmigiana (Aubergine, Parmesan and Tomato Bake)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
Small handful fresh basil, chopped (plus extra to garnish)
3 medium aubergines
200g mozzarella, thinly sliced
150g Parmesan, grated
Handful breadcrumbs, lightly toasted (optional)
- Add a little olive oil to a pot and, at a medium heat, fry the garlic and dried herbs for 1-2 minutes until fragrant; add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, sugar and chopped fresh basil and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes until reduced by about one third.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergines lengthways into 0.75cm slices.
- Heat half the olive oil in a good quality, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the aubergines in batches until golden, adding more oil as you need to. Set aside and drain on kitchen paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Add a thin layer of the tomato sauce to a medium-sized baking dish; follow with a layer of aubergines and then slices of mozzarella and a scattering of Parmesan. Repeat and then finish off with a final layer of tomato sauce and a scattering of Parmesan and bread crumbs (if using).
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Sprinkle with a little torn basil before serving as soon as possible. Bring to the table a fresh green side salad and don’t forget the Drostdy-Hof Natural Sweet White!
For more info, follow Drostdy-Hof: www.facebook.com/DHWines
— Drostdy-Hof (@DrostdyHofSA) January 29, 2016