Well, the weather is lovely and sunny in most parts of the country. Great weather calls for delectable summer dishes with good wine…
That sound appealing doesn’t it? Now, imagine the thought of having to enjoy some of the wine while cooking.
Every cook worth her salt will tell you never to cook with wine you wouldn’t want to drink. If it’s good for you, it’s good for the pot.
If you can lay your hands on the 2014 Zonnebloem Sauvignon Blanc, you couldn’t do better than to pour a glass for yourself and keep another for your favourite recipe. It will wake up your mouth with a lively rush of fresh, green and beautifully balanced flavours and add depth to your dish.
Cellarmaster Deon Boshoff says the wine has settled into a satiny smoothness and that with a component of bush vines in the blend, it has a very pleasing palate weight. “Just enough body and length for a lovely, lingering enjoyment.”
Sounds easy but did you know that it has been created from as many as 70 individually made wines, sourced from vineyards in Darling, Stellenbosch, not to mention Elgin, Lutzville, Overberg and even Malmesbury, to achieve just the right balance.
Pour a glass and toast the summer with this simple but sensational chicken dish. It is calorie-friendly too! Enjoy!
Roast Chicken Salad with Soy and Sesame Dressing
1,5kg whole chicken
1 lemon, halved
2,5cm knob of fresh ginger grated or cut into matchsticks
1/4 cup of white sesame seeds
1 head of cos or butter lettuce or pillow of mixed lettuce leaves
1 firm but ripe avocado
1 bunch of spring onions chopped
1/2 cup of sugar snap beans
1 cup of baby tomatoes
Few sprigs fresh coriander (optional)
60ml Zonnebloem Sauvignon Blanc
3 Tbs sesame oil
3 Tbs soy sauce
grated rind and juice of half a lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Rub the chicken with the cut side up of the lemon halves, squeezing as you do so to release the juices and then insert the lemon halves in the chicken cavity. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for an hour or until the juices run clear when pricked, but turn every 20 minutes to ensure the bird is fully browned. Leave to cool.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry, non-stick pan at a medium heat until fragrant, between 2 to 4 minutes. Finely grate the ginger or cut into matchsticks.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into small pieces and cover in the sesame seeds.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the soy sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest and white wine and slowly whisk in the sesame oil.
- Plate the lettuce leaves with the halved tomatoes, spring onions, sugar snap beans sliced at an angle, avocado wedges and the ginger sticks.
- Sprinkle over half the dressing, add the shredded meat, coat with the remainder of the dressing.
- Top with coriander springs if using and serve immediately with a glass of chilled Zonnebloem Sauvignon Blanc.
If you find you need more dressing, just make another batch and keep what you don’t need in this recipe, for your next salad.
Visit the website: www.zonnebloem.co.za
Join the Twitter conversation using: #ZonnebloemCraft