This dish is very simple, it’s for all my lazy cooks out there! But don’t let its simplicity fool you, it delivers very well in taste.
It is one of those dishes one can prepare with Seswaa. If the latter is prepared ahead of time then the Cottage Pie takes little time to put together. Hope you enjoy!
Seswaa / Lekgotlwane (Pounded Meat) Cottage Pie
Serves: 8 – 10
1kg stewing beef
3 tsp stewing granules (add more if necessary)
Lots of water to cook the meat until it falls off the bones
30ml cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
5 sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped
2 handfuls of frozen mixed veggies (add more if necessary)
5 – 6 potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes, cooked and mashed
Finely grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt to taste
- In a large saucepan, add meat, stewing granules and water. Cook until meat falls off the bone. Then pound the meat using a fork or wooden spoon. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and red pepper until soft. Add the pounded meat and parsley and mixed veggies. Allow to simmer until veggies are al dente.
- For the Mash: Mix mashed potatoes with milk and season with salt. Add parmesan cheese. The mash should not be thick, ultra smooth and not runny.
- Transfer the Seswaa into a baking dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the Seswaa. Run with a fork for some décor.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes.