As part of our interview I asked Samkelisiwe Mhlongo to share a recipe from her family and she shared not only one but three different recipe. Some of them I already have on the blog….
I chose a recipe by her grandmother, Imifino Yezintanga. This is what Sam had to say about her grandma’s and her family’s style of cooking…”My mom and gran never use recipes so I’m bad with measurements but I’m going to give you two or three recipes so you can choose”. I thoroughly enjoyed this omelette and it was filling. Hope you get to try it!
Imifino Yezintanga Omelette
1 x 250g packet of spinach, shredded
½ onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
a handful of sliced jalapenos, chopped
125ml (½cup) roasted and ground peanuts
salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare Imifino Yezintanga: Fry the onion, pepper and jalapenos until cooked.
- Add spinach, rosemary and cook until soft.
- Add peanuts and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the Omelette: Mix eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper and whisk for one minute.
- In another saucepan, melt butter a pan on medium heat, and pour the egg mix.
- Once the omelette starts to look like it’s cooked all the way through, spoon the Imifino mixture halfway on the omelette and fold it.
- Add the grated cheese and let the omelette cook for another minute or so – until the cheese melts.
- Serve with toast.