First of all, before I say anything I’m excited to share this post. I attended the Nederburg Hussar Grill Cook-Off hosted by Chef Pete Goffe-Wood at the Kitchen Cowboys. I got the pleasure of teaming up with Hussar Grill chef, Cheldon Gatcke, Hussar Grill Willowbridge winner, Talita Olivier and her friend Rowena.
We had to pair a dish with The Brew Master from Nederburg Heroes range. It’s a good wine, I know. We had to come up with a great dish to complement the wine. Remember, good wine deserves an equally delectable dish. That was our challenge. Let me cut to the chase, our recipe didn’t win. Not because it didn’t pair well with the wine.
We had a lot of components, we were a team of four and wanted every member to have their contribution taken into consideration. That was our downfall. other than that, my team worked well together and we produced a good dish but most importantly our dish paired very well with our wine. One just needs to reduce the components.
What I’ll do is share all the components then you can use the components you want to prepare. The dish would be perfect for Easter lunch. Here’s the recipe….
Mushroom Stuffed Steak Served with Carrot Humus / Cauliflower Mash / Grilled Aubergines with Red Wine Reduction
Red Wine Reduction:
1 cup red wine
spices (aniseed, cumin, cloves, cinnamon)
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
1 garlic, peeled
1 can chickpeas
salt and pepper, to taste
1 or 2 big eggplants, sliced
salt and freshly milled black pepper, to taste
oil, for frying
1/2 red onion, chopped
button mushrooms, sliced
flat iron steak
salt and freshly milled pepper, to taste
olive oil, for rubbing
fresh basil leaves
- For Wine Reduction: In a small saucepan, add wine and spices. Simmer with the lid open to reduce. Set aside.
- For Carrot Hummus: Roast carrots, red pepper and garlic together for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer roasted carrots, red pepper, garlic, chickpeas, sesame oil and lemon juice into a blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- For the eggplant: Rub eggplants with oil, salt and pepper. Grill on a hot grill until cooked. Set aside.
- For Cauliflower Mash: Boil cauliflower until soft. Add mash ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- For Stuffed Steak: Fry onion in oil, add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Flatten steak and stuff them with onion and mushrooms.
- Roll it up and enclose with toothpicks.
- Sear the steak in an oiled hot pan. Remove from the pan and place fresh basil over the rolled up steak. Enclose the basil with pancetta. Place on a roasting pan and put in a heated oven.
- Roast for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool down for about 10 minutes.
- Slice steak and serve on a bed of cauliflower mash, carrot hummus or grilled eggplant.
- Drizzle with the wine reduction.
- Serve with The Brew Master.