Royco R&D team has been working hard lately. First off, they relaunched their entire soup range, including packaging, additional flavours were then added to the range. Now they have just gone Heart Smart with the new Low Fat Sauces and to top it all, Royco has been declared an icon brand by South African consumers…….
New Soup Range and Packaging
Royco has recently relaunched its range of packet soups with great tasting recipes and four brand new flavours. In doing so, they decided to kill the bird with two stones by relaunching the packaging as well. The new packaging is bright red, eco-friendly and has 25% less impact on the environment than regular soup packaging.
The new packaging also informs the consumer that for every pack of soup purchased helps feed a hungry child. Royco is part of a nation-wide soup kitchen initiative that feeds 10 000 South Africans living in poverty every day. The soups are specially formulated and fortified with essential viatamins and minerals. The range comprises of the following flavours: Beef & Onion, Chakalaka, Curry Vegetable, Minestrone, Chilli Beef & Green Pepper, Rich Oxtail etc.
Icon Brand Status
South Africans have trusted Royco for nearly 60 years to help put hearty and delicious meals on the table. Now, Royco has earned the title of an iconic South African brand and has won outright in the Soup Category for its entire Packet Soup range in the TGI ICON Brand Survey for 2013.
“We are thrilled by the phenomenal growth that our brand has enjoyed, especially as we flagged by the TGI poll as a potential icon brand in 2010. In just three years we have reached iconic status, cementing Royco as a true rainbow nation brand” says Mandy Murphy, Marketing Director- Mars Africa: Food.
Instant Soup – Delicious on-the-go snack
“The success of our new Royco Instant Soups lies in consistently delivering on great taste and quality without compromise. All our instant soups have no added MSG or artificial colourants, and with our fantastic new product innovations such as our Kids range and the ultra-convenient new single serve pack format, we are listening to the needs of our consumers,” says Jann Lurie, Brand manager for Mars Africa.
Just so you can keep up, the instant soup range is comprised of the following:
- Original Instant Soup range is now available in new Singles packs
- Instant Soup Lite range is 25% lower in fat for a guilt free indulgence
- Instant Soup Extra’s range is richer and thicker with more ingredients for a more filling snack.
- Instant Soup Kids range is filled with oodles of alphabet noodles, these instant soups, a first in South Africa, are sure to turn kids’ meal times into fun times. They have substantially less salt and sugar than the adult soups and are completely free of preservatives.
Heart Mark Low Fat Sauces
The Heart Mark endorsement programme is an initiative of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of South Africa. All products undergo special testing and must adhere to the guidelines for Heart Mark products for fat, cholesterol, sodium, sugar and fibre content. The four Low Fat Sauces have been endorsed by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of South Africa: Low Fat Cheese, Low Fat Mushroom, Low Fat Cheese & Mushroom and Low Fat Pepper. These Low Fat, Heart Mark sauces are a new addition to the new look Royco Sauces & Gravies range which now offers greater choice with 12 tasty sauces and six hearty gravies, all with reduced salt and no added MSG or artificial colourants.
September is a Heart Awareness Month. For more information on cholesterol and blood pressure screening visit www.heartfoundation.co.za
At some point in my career I worked with Lisa Ronquest, the R&D Director at Mars Africa. She is a wonderful person with a great work ethic and with someone of her calibre heading their R&D department one should expect nothing short of brilliance. Way to go Lisa and team!
Now, here’s a recipe one could try out using one of the Low Fat Sauces. The recipe is from the Royco Team…..Enjoy!
Butternut, Sage and Feta Lasagna
400 g butternut peeled and cubed
15 ml oil
1 onion chopped
15 ml butter (OR margarine)
10 ml sage chopped (OR 3.5 ml dried sage)
80 g feta crumbled
1 ml salt
1 ml black pepper
4-6 lasagne sheets
1 packet ROYCO Low Fat Mushroom Sauce
15 g parmesan grated (OR cheddar cheese)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Toss the butternut cubes in a little oil and roast until soft.
- Fry the onion in butter/margarine until soft. Add the sage and cook for 30 seconds.
- Mash the butternut and add the onions and feta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and blanch pasta sheets for 3-4 minutes, refresh in cold water.
- Prepare the ROYCO Sauce according to packet instructions.
- Cover the base of a medium (18 x 12 cm) greased oven dish with a single layer of pasta, top with ½ of the butternut mixture and a third of the ROYCO Sauce.
- Repeat so that the entire butternut filling has been used.
- Top with a final layer of pasta, pour the remaining third of ROYCO sauce over the top and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes, or until the cheese has formed a golden crust on the top