I remember back when I was a student doing my second year in 2004, we had a project whereby we had to do a demonstration using a company’s products.
We were grouped in pairs. Our company was a dairy company based in Stellenbosch. The project entailed going to the company’s premises and get all the information needed for the demonstration. After all we had to demonstrate a three course meal using their products.
We got there and they were very nice people they even organised their chef to prepare a quiche and a double chocolate cake for us. Being a student that was like a dream! Using today’s language I would say it was the ish! None of our classmates received that kind of treatment from the companies they worked with. They gave us recipes as well. One of those recipes was a chocolate lava cake recipe. I demonstrated that for my desert. It was di-vi-ne!
For Dinner Diva menu, I decided to throw a wild card….I remembered the lava cake recipe then went through my documents from my student days and luckily I found it. Everyone does chocolate these days so I decided to tweak the recipe a bit and do red velvet.
We all know red velvet cake wouldn’t be as good without that cream cheese icing. Hence the cream cheese ice cream which balances out the sweetness of the cakes. The recipe is very easy to prepare. On the show I only had 15 minutes left when I started preparing it….Try it for your family, friends or guests and let me know what they think. Happy Baking!
Red Velvet Lava Cakes Recipe
200g white chocolate
4 Nulaid eggs
4 Nulaid egg yolks
15ml (1Tbsp) crimson pink colour
5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence
5ml (1tsp) caramel liquor (optional)
250ml castor sugar
45ml (3Tbsp) cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 200۫C. Grease 4 dariole moulds.
- Melt butter and white chocolate in a double boiler. Allow to cool.
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, colour, vanilla essence and sugar until thick and pale.
- Foil in chocolate, then sieve the flour and cocoa powder in the mixture and fold in.
- Pour batter into moulds and bake for 10-15 minutes. Surface must be firm and inside thick and runny.
- Allow to rest for 2-5 minutes before serving.
- Dust with icing sugar (optional) and serve with Cream Cheese Ice Cream and roasted almond flakes.
Cream Cheese Ice Cream Recipe
500ml vanilla ice cream
90ml cream cheese
- Mix until combined. Keep in the freezer until serving time.