This is my fourth and last recipe that I created using the Knorr Crispy & Tasty Coatings. I wanted something fun, festive, colourful and yet with a twist of tradition. Imifino is traditionally eaten with hands and for this dish that is exactly the case. Prawns are very easy to coat with the Crispy and Tasty Coating, in addition to that, they do not require a lot of cooking. Imifino (Morogo) is also easy to prepare, just make sure no lumps are formed. The dish can be served at a party, just picture it with a glass of bubbly! That sounds divine doesn’t it? Go ahead and try it this festive season and share your experience with us. Have fun and enjoy!
Crumbed Prawns & Imfino with a Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce
20 uncooked prawns in their shells
125ml (½ cup) milk
1 packet Knorr Crispy & Tasty Chicken Coating with Sweet Chilli Dip-Mix
100ml sunflower or canola oil, for frying
20 cherry tomatoes
75ml (5 Tbsp) lite mayonnaise
15ml (1 Tbsp) tomato sauce
For the imfino:
30ml (2 Tbsp) sunflower or canola oil
half an onion, peeled and finely chopped
half a red pepper, finely chopped
5ml (1 tsp) crushed fresh garlic
2.5ml (½ tsp) chopped fresh red chilli
3 cups spinach, shredded
2 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
15ml (1 Tbsp) fresh parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
625ml (2½ cups) boiling water
1 Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
250ml (1 cup) quick-cooking maize meal
5ml (1 tsp) butter
- First, mak imfino cubes. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat oil and sauté the onion, red pepper, garlic and chilli for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and keep stirring until it until it has wilted, then add the mashed potatoes and mix together.
- Add the parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- For the pap: Place the boiling water and the contents of the Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot in a small saucepan.
- Add the maize meal to the water and stir vigorously until smooth. Cook at a low heat until thick.
- Combine the pap and the spinach mixture and stir well. Add the butter to give it a glossy shine.
- Lightly grease a rectangular baking dish or tray. Transfer the pap/spinach mixture to the tray.
- Flatten the mixture in the tray to give it a level surface, then place in the fridge to firm up for 45 minutes or longer.
- For the prawns: Dip the prawns into the milk and roll them in the coating crumbs. Set the Dip-Mix aside for the sauce (see step 12).
- Heat oil and fry the prawns on both sides until golden and crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
- To assemble: Cut the chilled and set imfino into 2.5 cm cubes. Place a cherry tomato on top of each cube, and a coated prawn on top. Join together with a skewer.
- For the sauce: Combine the mayonnaise, tomato sauce and contents of the Dip-Mix in a small bowl and mix well.
- Serve the prawn and imfino stacks with the sauce on the side.