Mushrooms are one of my favourite ingredients. I love them braaied, fried, baked etc. I can have them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between. It therefore comes as no surprise that I would choose mushrooms for my second Knorr Crispy & Tasty Coating recipe. This starter recipe uses button mushrooms ,however, one can use mushroom steaks for bigger portions which can be served as main course. For the recipe, I played around with the preparation instructions and went against what is recommended on the packet by adding milk to the coating then dipping the mushrooms into it. This creates a crunchy coating. One should feel free to use the directions on the packet.
I particularly love the dipping sauce in this recipe. It is made up of the BBQ dippping mix, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce and parsley. It is delicious and it adds extra personality to this lovely dish. Get to try the recipe and share your thoughts and experience with us. Enjoy!
Crumbed Bacon-Stuffed Mushrooms with a BBQ Dipping Sauce
Makes: 4 starter portions
1 packet button mushrooms, cleaned and stalks removed
125ml (Â½ cup) milk
1 packet Knorr Crispy & Tasty Chicken Coating with BBQ Dip-Mix
For the dip:
75ml (5 Tbsp) tomato sauce
25ml (5 tsp) sweet chilli sauce
2.5ml (Â½ tsp) fresh parsley, chopped
For the stuffing:
30ml (2 Tbsp) oil
Â½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
2.5ml crushed garlic
Â¼ red pepper, finely chopped
3 slices shoulder bacon, chopped into small pieces
5ml (1 tsp) fresh parsley, chopped
5ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
mozzarella cheese, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Combine the milk and the crumb coating and mix together well. Set the Dip-Mix aside to make the dip (see Step 10.)
- Dip mushrooms into the coating. Place them face down on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Put them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the stuffing while mushrooms are baking in the oven. In a saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the onion, garlic and red pepper.
- Add bacon and continue frying until cooked.
- Add the parsley and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and turn them over so their hollows are facing upwards. Add a little stuffing to each mushroom and sprinkle with cheese.
- Return the mushroom to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- To make the sauce: Mix together the BBQ Dip-Mix, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce and parsley.
- Serve the stuffed mushrooms with the sauce.