If you love sweet potatoes or you have tried and enjoyed the Ginger and Butter Sweet Potato I posted last month then carry on reading…..
You know Cape Town weather is clearing up and we are saying goodbye to winter. Due to that I was a bit hesitant about posting a soup recipe but then again I remembered the folks in Joburg, Eastern Cape and other still chilly parts of the country. If it’s still chilly and raining where you are then you need to keep warm so this post is for you….
I wanted to make a sweet potato soup but I thought let me make it a Mzansi Style Cuisine original. So I made the soup from scratch using the ingredients that were at my disposal. My cousin who happens to be my flatmate as well as my guinea pic (she prefers that I call her my guinea lol) helped out with the tasting. She kept on saying there’s something missing, I then ended up adding a few spoons of the sour milk I had in the fridge. It gave the soup a rounded flavour and my guinea agreed. So I’m happy to present to you my lekker Creamy Sweet Potato Soup. You’re gonna love it! Happy Cooking!
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
50ml dried soup mix
1.5L boiling water
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 oxtail stock cube
1ml white pepper
2 sprigs coriander, chopped
5ml (1tsp) salt
30ml (2Tbsp) fresh cream
15-30ml thick and creamy amasi (sour milk)
- Cook the soup mix and sweet potato in 1L water until soft.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 500ml boiling water and add to the saucepan.
- Transfer the cooked sweet potato mix to a bowl and use a blender to make smooth.
- Add pepper, coriander, salt, cream, and sour milk.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Use a blender to puree the soup to a desire consistency. It doesn’t have to be really smooth.
- Serve hot.
- This soup has a thin to medium consistency, for a thicker soup use 75ml to 100ml dried soup mix.