It’s almost festive season. That means getting together with relatives and friends. Gatherings involve food preparation. I’m sharing main course recipes by One&Only Young Star 2014 winners, Natalie Pinto and Stirling Shaw, see image below. The duo competed with students from various institutions and took first prize. The recipes are perfectly paired with Villiera Chenin Blanc 2014.
The recipes might look a bit intimidating to home cooks but they only require precision. Preparing them is easier when the tasks are broken down and assigned to individuals. Get everyone to play their part and the finished product will look tantalizing like the picture below. Don’t forget to have fun. My friends and I cook in high spirits and with so much energy when there’s a bit of Champagne involved *wink*, you might want to try that!
Belly, Loin, Cheek
Rosti, Creamed Brussel Sprouts, Carrot Puree, Apple
Villiera Chenin Blanc 2014
Brine for Loin and Belly
20g mustard seeds
20g coriander seeds
1 green apple
1 celery stalk with leaves
2x garlic cloves
250ml (1cup) cider
250ml (1cup) white wine
1 litre (4cups) cold water
2.5litres cold water
- Toast the seeds (set aside).
- In a saucepan put the wine and cider and cook out alcohol (set aside).
- Roughly chop the onion, leek, celery, carrot, apple and bruise garlic.
- Add the seeds and muirpioux to about 1litre of cold water and bring to the boil once boiling add the wine, cider and salt (make sure the salt dissolves) – Once the salt has dissolved add the ice and the water and let cool.
- Score the belly.
- Trim off any excess fat and sinew on the loin.
- Once the water is cool put in the belly and the loin and let rest in the brine for 48 hours
1kg pork loin
- Pre heat an oven with a baine marie of water (enough to cover the loin) to 83’C.
- Remove the pork loin from the brine. Roll in cling film make sure it is rolled tight.
- Place the loin in the water bath and let cook for approx 2 hours or until a core temp of 67’C is reached. Have an ice bucket ready to stop it from cooking further.
- Remove the loin from the cling wrap. Heat up the 250ml gravy and reduce till it resembles a jus.
- Take the loin and roll it in the jus until it has warmed through and the jus has coated the loin
Pork belly 1kg
4x bay leaf
4 x whole garlic cloves
500ml white wine
250 ml apple cider
- Score the pork, coat with olive oil and season.
- Place thyme, garlic cloves, sage, bay leaf and the wine into baine marie. Place the pork on top and cover with tin foil and bake @200’C for 2 hours.
- Take pork out of oven and let rest till cool – Press pork. Leave for 1 hour.
- Cut pork into squares and put back in oven for 15 min @200’C or fry till colored.
- For gravy: Deglaze the baine marie on the gas top add wine, reduce then add pork stock and let reduce till coating consistency.
- Set aside about 250ml of gravy to make jus to roll the loin in.
Sides for Main
Shallots (halved root left on)
- Season onions with oil and salt.
- Put oil and butter in frying pan melt butter. Fry the onions till they color on a medium heat.
- Put in oven @180 for 10 – 15min
Brussels (core removed)
50g diced pork cheek
Red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
- Cut the Brussels in halves.
- Boil the Brussels in salted and refresh.
- Sautee the pork cheek till crispy.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine vinegar.
- Add the cream and the Brussels.
- Let cook until the cream thickens and binds to the Brussels.
Crispy Potato Rosti
125g Clarified butter
- Peel the potatoes and put in water.
- Slice the potatoes with a mandolin and then cut the slices into julienne.
- Put in ice water and rinse well.
- Remove from water and dry them in a towel.
- In a bowl add the potatoes and clarified butter make sure all the potatoes are covered.
- Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Put in oven proof pan and cook on the stove top for 5minutes until the bottom stops sticking.
- Put in the oven for 15min @180°C.
- Flip the rosti and cook for additional 15 minutes.
- Take the rosti out of the pan and put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes to get rid of any excess fats and to crisp it up.
- Sauté the carrots in oil and butter till the carrots begin to soften (do not color).
- Add just enough water to cover the carrots.
- Cook on a high heat until the water is evaporated and the carrots are completely cooked through and soft.
- Blend with a hand blender and add butter until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pass through sieve and season.
Parsnip and Apple Puree
2x green apples
- Peel the parsnips and (dice).
- Peel and remove core from the apples (dice).
- Heat up a sauce pan with butter and oil and add the apples and parsnips.
- Sautee them until they begin to soften (make sure not to color. Add just enough water to cover.
- Reduce on a high heat until fully cooked through and soft.
- Blend with a hand blender and add butter and cream until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pass through a sieve and season.