The chilly and flu season is here and what better way to embrace it than a hearty bowl of chunky vegetable soup…..Its perfect for meat free Monday more especially today’s rainy weather in Cape Town!
A friend/colleague gave me a collection of winter soup recipes compiled by Gavin Victor to share on the blog. I went through the list and was drawn to the Chunky Vegetable Soup recipe. Mainly because I had most of the ingredients at home except for the vegetable stock.
I went to a shop to buy the stock powder instead of buying it I saw the new Knorr Stock Pot and someone mentioned it not long ago. I thought what the heck let me try the stock pot instead.
As it is cold and raining outside my pot of soup simmered and filled up the kitchen with a hearty vegetable aroma to get anyone drooling. Now I’m licking the bowl…..Happy cooking!
Chunky Vegetable Soup Recipe
45ml (3Tbsp) butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 – 3 large carrots, chopped
4 baby marrows, sliced
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
2ml dried parsley
1 vegetable stock pot cube
500ml (2 cups) boiling water
400g butter or broad beans drained and rinsed
- Heat a saucepan and melt the butter.
- Add the onion, tomatoes and sauté until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and baby marrows.
- Sauté in the pan for about 2 minutes.
- Add stock pot, butter beans, basil leaf, parsley and water and let simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to season.
- Discard bay leaf and serve with bread (I served it with ciabatta bread)
Ever heard of a Dinawa Ball Soup? Check out the recipe and give it a try – it will be worth your while.