Food writer Sarah Graham’s Food Safari is currently flighting on M-NET on Sundays from 18:00 to 19:00. Here the well-known foodie personality showcases interesting recipes that take inspiration from local hotspots across the continent. South African wine favourite Drostdy-Hof has accompanied her on her journey.
A lot of folks are going home for the holidays and we know one has to cook up a storm and impress! You can’t go wrong with this recipe, it’s is simple and straight-forward but produce spectacular results. Pair it up with Drostdy-Hof’s Claret Select and have yourself a winning combination.
Drostdy-Hof’s Claret Select is an easy-drinking red blend offering a rich bouquet of complex berry flavours that suit the heartiness of the chicken and chorizo. Enjoy!
Chorizo and Lemon Chicken with Cauliflower Mash
Serves 4 | Preparation time 10 minutes | Cooking time 1 hour
For the chicken
8 chicken thighs, with skin
1 tsp thyme, dried
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
3 medium-sized red onions, cut roughly into sixths
200g chorizo, roughly chopped
1 lemon, halved
200ml Drostdy-Hof 2015 Sauvignon Blanc
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for serving
For the cauliflower mash
1 medium head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Heat an oven-proof pot on the stove, add the olive oil and butter and brown the chicken for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pot, fry for approximately 3 minutes while stirring often. Then add the chorizo and lemon halves and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and put the chicken back in the pot with the onion and chorizo. Pour in the Drostdy-Hof Sauvignon Blanc, put the lid on the pot and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the cauliflower. Boil the cauliflower in a separate pot until tender. Remove from the pot and drain well. Add the olive oil and butter and purée using a stick blender until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- To serve, dish up a generous helping of cauliflower mash, top with the chicken and chorizo and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Finally, enjoy a glass of the Claret Select with this hearty meal.
For more info, visit: www.drostdyhof.com/za
Follow Drostdyhof on Twitter:
— Drostdy-Hof (@DrostdyHofSA) December 17, 2015