It is tradition or rather a norm that a Christmas fruit cake should be baked months in advance, as early as October. What happens if you have a sudden urge to bake your own – together with your young ones a couple of days before Christmas?
Well, I have an answer for that. I had this delicious and moist Chocolate Fruit Cake delivered from SASKO. Inside the box, a Chocolate Muffin Mix was included but it didn’t occur to me that it may have been used to prepare the cake. My niece was so excited and intrigued by this colourful cake in a huge red box – she wanted to eat it immediately and I obliged.
It turned out to be delicious and tasted even better than the one delivered in December 2016. I believe that good things are meant to be shared, therefore, asked the SASKO team to share the recipe with me. I am sharing it with you. We finished that cake after sharing it with a couple of friends but my sassy 3 year old niece is a keen baker – we’ll definitely be baking it but instead of a cake, we’ll opt for muffins. Will you be baking this Chocolate Fruit Cake with Orange Syrup? I believe the syrup is what gives this cake a desired moistness. You will will love it and your kids will enjoy the baking experience as well as the results of their hard work. Happy baking!
SASKO’S Chocolate Fruit Cake with Orange Syrup
1 packet Sasko Chocolate Muffin Mix
1 packet Safari Sundried Cake Mix
1 cup Safari Pecan Nuts
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 cup Glazed Cherries
1 cup Castor Sugar
1 cup Water
Zest of 1 Orange
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roughly chop pecan nuts and glazed cherries.
- Mix 4 eggs with milk and oil in a boil.
- In a separate bowl, mix the SASKO chocolate muffin mix with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour in the liquid mixture and combine with a handheld mixer until smooth.
- Fold fruit and nut mix on your cake batter.
- Pour cake batter into greased cake tin and bake for 30-45 minutes at 180°C.
- For the Sugar Syrup, combine the sugar, water and orange zest and bring to the boil.
- Pour syrup onto the cooling cake and let absorb.
- Once cooled, decorate to your preference.