Every household has their designated cook, that person who prepares the most divine dishes. Be it one dish that they specialise in or several other dishes.
One of my sisters used to cook Umphokoqo better than anyone. Whenever the family was in the mood for umphokoqo we would ask her to prepare it. Kicking and screaming, she would drag herself to the kitchen as the entire household relied on her……
One of my friends was bragging about this scrumptious chicken curry recipe her boyfriend, Carlo, cooked for her. He takes pride in preparing his dishes and it tasted so good I had to ask her to get the boyfriend to share the recipe. Apparently this curry recipe is one of his speciality dishes.
Since winter is not ready to leave us yet, I cooked the recipe at home and its has been so good I’m sure I’m gonna make it up again soon. Compliments to the cook!
Carlo’s Chicken Masala Curry Recipe
8 chicken pieces
30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
4 bay leaves
1 large onion, chopped
2 heaped teaspoons jeera powder
3 Tsp chicken masala
3 tsp hot curry powder
1 ½ tsp mild curry powder
15ml (1 Tbsp) turmeric powder
15ml (1 Tbsp) fresh garlic, chopped
250ml (1cup) boiling water
6 potatoes cut into even squares
250ml (1cup) mixed vegetables
2 heaped tsp pepper
1 heaped tsp salt (season to preferred taste)
1. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil till golden brown.
2. Add bay leaves, half teaspoon jeera powder, half teaspoon chicken masala and half teaspoon hot curry powder.
3. Add your chicken pieces and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the rest of the spices to the pot and water to cook spices evenly through chicken.
5. Cook till chicken is well done.
6. Add potatoes to the pot and cook till half done
7. Add mixed vegetables and cook till well done or to preferred texture.