We are cooking a fabulous Baked Chicken and Coconut Rice Recipe!
Hi guys! First of all, I would like to thank everyone who puts their faith on my recipes, goes out to buy ingredients and then try them out. Some come back with feedback and it warms my heart to hear what you think of the recipes. Well today will be introducing baked chicken and coconut rice recipe.
The latest comment that did just that was from a fellow South African currently working on a contract in Mauritius. His message goes as follows:
Thank you for the recipe.
I am South African and never had the opportunity to have Walkie-Talkies
I have been on a contract in Mauritius for a year and bought a chicken today. It came with cleaned feet, head, neck and liver. What an opportunity to cook my own Walkie-Talkie.
I followed your recipe but fried some onions first.
Excellent!! Now I have done it. Even more Proudly South African.
It’s amazing to touch people through food and that’s what keeps the blogger in me going. Okay, that’s out of the way. Today, I want to share a recipe I prepared on the Spekko Rice TV advert – well, you get to see my fingers sprinkling some herbs over the dish. 🙂 We were asked to share our favourite rice recipes, this Baked Chicken and Coconut is one of those recipes that came to me when I was half asleep. Does it sound crazy? LOL! Well, that’s what happens when you are a recipe developer. You dream about food and wake up with your head buzzing with exciting ideas. I made the recipe when I was visiting my family in Queenstown to get their opinions. They couldn’t get enough. Let me be honest, they thought it was delicious but “needed more salt”. Seriously now?
I love the flavours that come through in this dish. Most importantly, I love coconut milk – it’s my latest ingredient obsession and it was inspiration behind the dish. Coconut Milk rounds up the flavours and gives the dish a punch and a creamy mouthfeel. With all that said, go ahead and try out the recipe and let me know what you think. Happy Cooking!
Baked Chicken and Coconut Rice
- 250ml (1 cup) rice, uncooked
- 125ml (½ cup) brown lentils
- 30ml (2Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- ½ head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 can Lite coconut milk
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) ground black pepper, to taste
- A handful of fresh parsley, and extra for garnishing
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 15ml (1Tbsp) fresh ginger, chopped
- 5ml (1tsp) dried thyme
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- Put chicken thighs in a Ziploc bag and on top of it add all the marinade ingredients. Close the bag and keep in the fridge for 15 minutes or longer.
- Cook the rice according to instructions on the packaging. Set aside.
- Cook lentils separately. Do not overcook. Set aside.
- In a big ovenproof saucepan, heat oil and cook onion, red pepper and broccoli. Cook just until the onion looks translucent – without losing texture.
- Add rice, lentils, parsley and mix until blended.
- Use the pot used to cook rice to heat coconut milk, stock cube. Add lemon zest and mix until stock cube is dissolved.
- Place marinated chicken thighs over the rice mixture. Pour coconut milk over the thighs – covering the rice.
- Bake at 180˚C for 1 hour. Garnish with parsley before serving.
You might also want to try out these recipes: