Another winning recipe from Fry’s Vegetarian Curry Cook-Off….
Home executive, Anita Roopnarain competed against Mark Naiker in the semi-finals held at Chatsworth centre on Sunday 30th June. Her Meat Free Butter Chicken recipe came first beating Mark’s Meat Free Lanieres De Poulet.
Its definitely worth trying out…especially on a meat free Monday. Enjoy!
Anitha Roopnarian’s Soya Butter Chicken Recipe
1 box Fry’s Meat Free Chicken-Style Strips
1 ½ teaspoons ginger paste
3 teaspoons fennel powder
½ teaspoon each clove powder & pepper
1 teaspoon yellow food colouring
100g butter & 1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 cup onions, grated
4 fresh chillies
6 cloves garlic, mashed
410g tomato puree
1 can evaporated milk
½ teaspoon elachi (cardamom)
½ teaspoon pepper
- Place Fry’s Chicken-Style Strips in a bowl.
- Add ginger paste, fennel and clove powder, food colouring and pepper.
- Rub spices lightly into Fry’s strips, and then fry in butter & oil.
- Remove Fry’s strips and add extra 30g butter to the pan. Stir in fennel seeds and onions until soft.
- Add garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir through tomato puree and bring to the boil.
- Add Fry’s strips and salt to taste. Stir in evaporated milk. Sprinkle elachi and pepper over Fry’s strips.
- Heat through before serving. Serve with hot soft parathas, butter naan or basmati rice.